Jun 30 2014
ISTE 2014: STEAM Opening the Doors to Creativity
Educators discuss the merits of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) and project-based learning.
- Warren Dale, Learning Facilitator
- LeVar Burton, Co-Founder & Curator-in-Chief of Reading Rainbow
- Kelly Sain, Boulder Valley School District
- Andrew Swickheimer, Noblesville School
- John Schuler, Osage Trail Middle School
- Joe Taylor, Wheeling High School
- If school is like baking a cake, then core components like math and science are the flour, and arts are the sugar. "That cake just isn't going to taste as good without the sugar," says John Schuler.
- LeVar Burton says it's critical to allow students to explore their creative notions, since these are what have fueled inventions since the dawn of civilization.
- Incorporating the arts into different subjects encourages creativity and exploring avenues students may never have considered, says Andrew Swickheimer.