Paul Resta, director of the Learning Technology Center at the University of Texas at Austin, says the ideal 21st century classroom features:
- learning tools that include computers, interactive whiteboards, student response systems, document cameras, digital microscopes and emerging technologies;
- software tools to support a range of learning activities;
- high-speed Internet access;
- a comfortable learning environment, including soft seating for students; and
- flexible learning spaces for small-group collaborative learning activities or whole class instruction. Furniture should be light and on wheels, allowing the room to be quickly and easily reconfigured to support a wide range of learning activities.