Jul 03 2014
ISTE 2014: Education Leaders Talk Emerging Tech, Star Trek
LeVar Burton says we're close to achieving two iconic Star Trek technologies.
- LeVar Burton, Co-founder of Reading Rainbow
- Jeff Charbonneau, Zillah High School educator
- Kevin Carroll, author
- The barriers to futuristic technologies are within reach thanks to advancements in computing speed. LeVar Burton says 3D printing is close to a Star Trek replicator, and a first-generation holodeck, another sci-fi technology, could be five years away or less.
- With 3D printing and the open software environments begin pioneered, "You can literally make anything," says Jeff Charbonneau.
- Educators should find ways to challenge students to look beyond their screens for innovations, says Kevin Carroll.