Why Ottawa University Built a State-of-the-Art Esports Arena
While other campuses may have a room with a dozen computers set aside for esports, Ottawa University, located in Ottawa, Kan., provides its esports team with a fully outfitted arena in its Larry D. Peters Auditorium. The university set up the stadium with a state-of-the-art video production system and broadcasting capabilities, in addition to stocking it with computer power through a build-out with Horizon AVL and CDW.
The arena supports the university's goal of training students for careers in esports after graduation.
- Derek Beach, Captain, Varsity Overwatch Team, Ottawa University
- Connor Alne, Esports Head Coach, Ottawa University
- Arabie Conner, Director of Athletics, Ottawa University
- Adam Caylor, Director of Technical, User and Esports Operations, Ottawa University
- Ottawa University, an 800-student school in Kansas, decided to build a major esports arena to recruit students and train them for jobs.
- Ottawa Braves Captain Derek Beach is one of the students benefiting from the build-out, which he says is a major draw for his university.
- Head Coach Connor Alne and others train the students in esports competition and multimedia production.